Aussie Backyard Bird Count
Do you enjoy watching the birds? Join other like-minded people and participate in the annual Aussie Bird Count. It is a great way to connect with the birds in your backyard no matter where your backyard happens to be — a suburban backyard, a local park, a patch of forest, down by the beach, or the main street of town.
Between October 22nd to 28th, the public is encouraged to help audit our feathered-friends. You can count as many times as you like over the week, so long as each count is completed over a 20-minute period. The data collected assists BirdLife Australia in understanding more about the birds that live where people live.
There are two ways to take part in the annual Aussie Backyard Bird Count:
- You can submit your counts directly through the web page. The count form will be live from the 15 October, giving you plenty of time to get familiar with it before the Aussie Backyard Bird Count officially starts on the 22 October.
- You can download the Aussie Bird Count app. The app currently functions as a Field Guide/Bird Finder. The full version of the app will be available from 1 October.
In the meantime, why not learn more about attracting native birds to your backyard through bird-friendly gardening, or practise your bird ID and get to know the birds in your backyard by downloading the Aussie Bird Count app and using the Field Guide function.
In addition to undertaking the bird count as an individual, there are several organised events in WA:
- What bird is that? October 9 @ 10:30 am – 12:00 pm. Come and enjoy a presentation about the types of birds found in the Town of Cambridge and surrounding areas hosted by BirdLife WA.
- Breakfast with the Birds. October 10 @ 7:00 am – 9:00 am. Come and join BirdLife WA and Town of Cambridge staff at a breakfast with birds where you will be able to observe local bird species at Lake Monger. Breakfast is provided.
- Habitat Gardening and Breakfast with the Birds. October 20 @ 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Come and join in on this workshop featuring bird-friendly gardening tips and information which also features breakfast with the birds.
- Love Birds Walk and Talk. October 25 @ 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm. Come and join City of Cockburn at a bird talk and enjoy a walk at sunset involving bird watching with snacks, binoculars and happy couples.
For more information on how to take part, head to the Frequently Asked Questions pageon the Aussie Bird Count website.
(Article source: https://aussiebirdcount.org.au)