WA Parks Foundation officially launched
A shared love for WA Parks brought more than 140 members of the community, corporate sector and peak organisations to Government House to launch the WA Parks Foundation on Wednesday 19 October. (Parks mean all categories of land and marine areas set aside, reserved or identified in or under Western Australian legislation for the purpose of conservation of the natural environment and other purposes consistent with that legislation).
Guests enjoyed presentations by respected members of the environmental community including Professor Steve Hopper AC, Ms Victoria Lawrie, Mr Jim Sharp and Mr Griffin Longley and stayed to visit their favourite national park in full virtual reality, get their picture taken in a park via a green screen photo booth and met some local wildlife thanks to Kanyana Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre and its founder Mrs June Butcher AM.
The Vision for the WA Parks Foundation is:
Our Parks are increasingly loved and visited and the plants, animal, landscapes and cultural values they embody are protected and a source of pride for all Western Australians.
Thanks to the love and support shown for our WA Parks, the requirement of 50 membership sign ups was quickly met, with most members joining using the new website. The Foundation is now in the process of applying for tax deductibility status.
Members of inaugural Board were announced, led by the Governor of Western Australia, Her Excellency the Honourable Kerry Sanderson AC, who each have expressed a love for WA’s unique parks.
- Hon Kerry Sanderson AC (Chair of the WA Parks Foundation)
- Dr Tom Hatton PSM (Chair EPA)
- Mr Griff Longley (CEO Natureplay)
- Mr Richard Simpson (Chair BGPA )
- Ms Eva Skira (Chair Water Corporation and Chair of the Trustees of St John of God Healthcare)
- Mr Mike Wood (Chair Bibbulmun Track Foundation )
- Mr Shaun Hardcastle (Director Bellanhouse Legal)
- Mr Jim Sharp (Director General Parks and Wildlife ex-officio attendee)
- Ms Kathryn Conway (Acting Company Secretary, Learning Horizons)